Time and Temperature in Afghanistan

Task Force Spartan

Where were you  

Posted

9-11 always brings out the where were you stories...here is mine.

We were in Quantico VA. Terry was attending the Marine Advance course (AWS). I had just turned the tv on and had just turned the chanel to the Today show and Matt and Katie were talking about a fire in one of the World Trade Center buildings. They had no idea what had happened, there were some reports of a small plane hitting it, but no real concern. As I was watching, the other plane hit and everyone thought that something must be wrong with the air traffic control people. I was now glued to the tv watching the Trade center buildings burning and listening to the reporters trying to figure out what was happening. They were talking to someone at the pentagon when it was hit. At first they thought a bomb had gone off it was several minutes before they realized it was another plane. Terry was in class, so I called my mom. I was scared, I knew we were under attack and we were only 30 minutes from the Pentagon. I kept saying to my mom "who knows what will be hit next". Then they were reporting that all aircraft had to land immediately. And it wasn't long before they figured out that Flight 93 had gone down in PA. Terry was home by 10:30am. I will never forget watching those towers fall, wondering how many people were still inside.

This entry was posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

I was on the Autobahn when I heard it in the radio. From Stuttgart on up to Heidelberg, I could see all the TMP's racing. When I finally got to Heidelberg it took me 2 1/2 hours to get on PHV. Never mind I was 8 month pregnant and had a 1 year old in the car too with at least a sippy cup for him. When I finally turned on the TV it was nearly 6 pm Germany time and I couldn't believe it. It took dh another 2 hours to get on post. It was totally shut down with searchs on every car.

We were at Fort Jackson, and it was 1 day before Advanced Course graduation. Jason was out for a run and I was in the gym at our apartment complex watching TV. I think I picked up on it where you did. I got off the elliptical machine, and sat on the floor glued to the TV until Jason got back. I remember not wanting to go to bed that night because I didn't want to miss anything.
Odd how our lives changed so much that day....remember that Army posts used to be open to every yahoo that wanted to drive on? What a nightmare it was to get on post for graduation the next morning.
Jason's sisters and nieces were in San Fran and were supposed to be flying back to Ohio that day...needless to say they were stuck in CA for a while. It's hard to believe it was 7 years ago.

Post a Comment