Time and Temperature in Afghanistan

Task Force Spartan

Sounds of the Army  

Posted

Laundry, Little Boys & Lattes has a great story on her blog about hearing gun fire on post, I also have a story about the sounds of the Army.

When we were at Fort Carson many moons ago, I worked at a Christian Publishing company in the Accounting Dept. My office was right next door to one of the big managers, you know he had higher cubicle walls than me. One day Terry calls me from out in the field and there is all kinds of Artillery and gun fire in the background and for just a second I had this evil thought in my head, what if I put the phone on speaker for just a second, how long would it take the Accounting Dept to clear.... This wasn't too long after Columbine so I didn't think they would find it funny. I laughed so hard thinking about everyone hitting the floor and crawling to the nearest exit. I know it isn't funny when it really happens, but dang it would have been a sight to see.

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

I would have laughed right along with you! That would have been funny.
One day I had the TV on in the kithchen and I was watching Law and Order. They began playing TAPS on the show and one of Hannah's little friends says (from the other room), "oh my gosh, is it 5 o'clock already?" Only a military child would associate time like that!

Love your sense of humor! That would have been SO funny; I would have been laughing along with you, too!

Molly...love that story. I had been married about 9 days and was living on post for the first time during a change of command. All the women were sitting so pretty and I kept thinking we must be about to have a big storm and you guys are just acting like it's no big deal. I had no idea what cannons sounded like in the distance. So Kellee, I would have been one of the ones under the desk but laughing my butt off in the end.

Post a Comment