Time and Temperature in Afghanistan

Task Force Spartan

Different mindset living here  

Posted

Yesterday we had a front blow in...along with lake effect snow we had wind like you wouldn't believe. So what do we do...we get in a car last night at 6:30 and make the 10 or 15 mile trip to Fort Drum for a mandatory parent meeting for Tyler's 1st reconciliation. 5 years ago I would have never driven in weather like that on snow packed roads, yesterday I did it with 3 kids in the car. About 2 miles outside of Drum there were white out conditions, and I am not kidding about the white out part. Don't forget that the roads are all ready snow packed, so they are white, everything on either side of the road has 2 or more feet of snow on it and now the sky is white. I can see how easy it would have been to just drive off the road, since I had no idea where the road was. For MOM...I didn't realize how bad it was when I left the house, and once I got in the stuff, never in a million years would I have tried to turn around in it...going strait and hoping the car in front of me was on the road was all I could do. By the time the meeting was over, it had stopped snowing and was just blowing and only in a few places was the snow blowing so hard across the road making it really hard to see.

Now our temperature for the next 3 days is going to hover around 3 or 4 above 0....At night another story, one night they are expecting -20 or below. That is some cold stuff for us at least. Again I just don't really need to retire here or spend any extra time if we can help it, just not my cup of tea.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment