Time and Temperature in Afghanistan

Task Force Spartan

Hard Day  

Posted

Wednesday was a tough day. The Housing people pretty well confirmed that we woun't be able to walk into a new house there on Drum. I am disappointed for many reasons. Terry and I have been married for 16 1/2 years (11 1/2 in the military) during that time I have settled many times when it comes to housing, because it was only a year, if we move into this small house a bigger one will open up. At this point in his career I think we should be living in something I like. We could possibly be at Ft. Drum for 3 or 4 years (probably at least 2 deployments) and it would be nice to live somewhere I really like. It would be nice to unpack all the way.

Our neighbor was sitting outside with us yesterday and we were trying to figure out a better solution for Military housing situation. He wondered if there should be no "military housing" and everyone have to live on the economy. That way you would have to go look for a house to buy or rent no matter what and the surrounding cities or towns would have to rise to the occasion and build more housing. I would not think twice about living off post if I didin't have to worry about my husband being deployed for 15 months at a time. I want to be surrounded by people who understand what I am going thru, what it feels like to be a single parent.

And it is amazing how we get get a potluck together in just a couple of hours notice. No one critizies you if you go to the store and pick up bakery cookies. We have no problem asking our nightbor to bring that favorite dish that she amde last time that was so delicious you couldn't stop eating it.

It is nice to know that your 1st grader can walk down the street to his friends house and not worry as much. The military has a great sense of comunity and civilans are often amzazed how easy it is for us to gather and enjoy each others company.

So yes I am stressed about where I am going to live in 4 1/2 weeks.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

"The military has a great sense of community and civilians are often amazed how easy it is for us to gather and enjoy each others company."

The military is very cliquish and civilians are often excluded. I know this from experience.

Post a Comment